Monday, January 2, 2012

Restarting My Life

Seriously? It's been over a month since we (Stef) have updated? My deepest apologies. I know you all hang on our (my) every word.

Thanksgiving was fantastic. Unfortunately, we were unable to see Stef's family for Thanksgiving. It was just too difficult to try to see two families on one day, a problem that will be compounded by introducing a new life to our family, no doubt. Like Thanksgiving, Christmas was also awesome. I was able to get some extra time off from work around Christmas, so it was great to be able to be able to see our friends and both of our families and spend time with those that we love. Also, we had an great baby shower thrown by our closest friends. It was good to experience that, even though we're heading into new territory in our life as a family, we have many people to lean on and learn from. Thank you to everyone who allowed us to experience your friendship and love through conversation, laughs, food, and gifts.

The past few months have been a growing time for me as I continue to think about what my life will look like with another addition to our family. There are many things that I spend time thinking about: how our finances will be affected, what kind of social changes this addition will bring, how my role in our family will shift from being a husband to being a husband and a father. However, I think the thing I've been thinking on the most has been how the birth of our child will bring about a completely new start at life. Obviously, giving birth to our son will bring new life to him, but also bringing him into the world will bring a new life for Stef and I.

Part of that transformation into a new life is how having a child will affect the things that Stef and I already engage in, with friends, family, or by ourselves. But the other part, and the more exciting part, is how having a child will open doors to new things. Sure, it will bring things that we never did before like changing diapers or rocking a baby to sleep. But it will also bring about new ways of thinking about the world, about our parents, about our family, about our friends, about the world and about each other.

I could be totally wrong, but I think having a child is a "fly by the seat of your pants" type of thing. You roll with the punches. But it's great to think about things that I want to do with my son, or things that I want to introduce him to, or how I want to teach him to be tolerant of other people and points of view or how to love others unconditionally. Having a child is becoming more of a reality to me and not so much as a concept of thought anymore. Being born brings a new life to our son, yes, but it also brings new life to Stef and I. For this, I am simultaneously excited and completely humbled.

That's it. Short and sweet.

- J

No comments:

Post a Comment