Friday, January 13, 2012

A Clarification on Cravings

As a pregnant woman, I get asked a lot of questions. The three that pop up the most are:

1) Is it a boy or a girl? - Boy
2) Do you have a name picked out? - No, but we aren't revealing the name until he is born anyway.
3) What has been your biggest craving?

Let's talk about this last question for a little bit. Before I was pregnant, I got cravings all the time. I would go on kicks where I would eat the same food every single day just because that's what sounded good to me. Those foods have included, but are not limited to, pretzels dipped into chocolate icing, guacamole and tortilla chips, clementines, big salads with tons of chopped veggies, egg & cheese sandwiches on english muffins, and I could go on and on. Like I said, I would get on these kicks for a week or two, then be done with them. I would also make different types of baked goods just because I felt like it. Or I would see an ad for some new blizzard at Dairy Queen and immediately want one.

Then, I got pregnant. I honestly don't think things have changed very much in the eating category, but people's perceptions of my eating habits have. A lot of times when I post about a food I want or just randomly had the urge to make, many people usually respond along the lines of, "Ohhh, a pregnancy craving!" That's not how I look at it. It's just how I've always been. I just happen to be pregnant now.

But, I guess if you need to know what I have "craved" during my pregnancy then there are a couple of things that I've eaten that I normally wouldn't, or at least not as much. In my first trimester, I ate a lot of chips. I've never been a huge chip person, but for some reason I really craved a salty snack for a few weeks. Secondly, I made a few quick runs through the McDonald's drive-thru for a McDouble. Again, I typically don't eat McDonalds's, but those sounded good to me for about a week or so. Lastly, right now all I really want to eat is sugar and carbs. NOT healthy by any means, but they are my comfort foods. I can't say that it's because of pregnancy though. I usually really like sugar and carbs (especially in the winter), although I find that I don't cut myself off from it as much right now than I would have if I wasn't busy growing a baby.

So, there you have it. A complete post on why I believe I don't really have pregnancy cravings and just believe it is an extension of who I have always been when it comes to food. Now, excuse while I go find some pickles and ice cream... :)

- S

1 comment:

  1. Eat what you want, when you want. You and your body know what it needs! Enjoy every delicious bite ;)

    ReplyDelete