Monday, September 19, 2011

Fatherhood, And Why I Should Have Been a Boyscout

I should have joined the boyscouts when I had the chance. Is there an age limit on joining? It seems that the boyscout would have taught me a lot of things about being prepared for the unknown. As a boy, you dream that the boyscouts would be able to teach you how to survive in the wilderness for a week with nothing more than some dental floss and nail clippers. If nothing else, I would have learned how to tie some awesome knots, which, by the way, is something I'm horrible at.

In the weeks that followed the initial doctor's appointment that told Stef and I that I indeed had the capability of producing offspring, my lack of knowledge about being prepared for fatherhood has crept up on me. When you are a first-time father and you ask other parents for advice on how to prepare for the day when you first see your slimy, screaming baby, not many provide you with any tangable advice. They treat it like it's a learn-on-the-go type of situation. Let me tell you, this is not such a situation. Of the people who will give you advice (mostly women), almost all repeat over and over how important it is for me to make sure Stef is happy while she's carrying our child. Geeze, thanks a lot. I'm sure Stef will appreciate that.

Most notable events in my life creep up on me: major holidays, graduation, my wedding. It's only when something somewhat major happens do I notice just how quickly that next event is approaching. Today was such an occasion. For a little while, Stef and I have enjoyed not being the only couple in our group of friends that were pregnant. One of Stef's close friends was also pregnant - until today. This morning at 11:00am, Erik and Amanda became proud parents of their first son, Asher. Also happening today, Stefanie and I became the next couple in our circle of friends who will have a child. And in a few weeks, when we have our doctor's appointment to find the gender of our child, March 2nd and all it entails becomes more of a reality.

And all I have to go on for this occasion is to make sure Stef gets the food she needs. I guess I better hit the library. More to follow...

- J

2 comments:

  1. I have a hard time stopping to enjoy occasions - holidays and stuff like you mentioned. For the last 2 Christmases I've been very intentional about soaking in moments as much as possible. Anyway, applying that same idea to pregnancy is important. I think you and Stef are already doing a great job of it - this blog is a perfect example. Taking the time to reflect on your feelings will be what sticks with you more so than the practical advice people will offer you. I actually got sick of the advice offering because everyone does something different and there are many parenting philosophies. Don't get me wrong - ask people questions and google till your heart is content - Dads should be involved and informed. Obviously I can't offer a male perspective but, parent to parent, my advice is soak in the months you have left because it is such a unique time in life. So, nothing helpful, just vague thoughts - exactly what you were looking for. haha.

    ReplyDelete